The Memorials Westbury

On the North aisle wall is a memorial adorned by two swords, which belonged to the two sons of the former Vicar, Richard Ussher, Vicar from 1897-1928.

The sons served in different regiments, and Captain Beverley Ussher died in the Dardanelles in June 1915 and Captain Stephen Ussher at Givenchy in December 1914.

Their memorial also has two bronze replicas of their regiments. 

Their death must have been an added blow for Richard and his wife Mary, who had previously lost their seven year old son Arthur in 1899.

There are two simple crosses brought from France, in memory of Pte H Robinson who died at St Quentin in March 1916 and Pte J A Fenemore who died at Bethincourt in October 1918.

The marble war memorial lists those from the village who served with the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, and the memorial has the regimental badges for all those commemorated

There is a memorial stone in the floor which is almost illegible, to Isaiah Knibb, Vicar of Westbury in 1694. All that remains on his memorial is 'here lieth the body of Isaiah Knibb, Master of Arts. He was minister of this Parish, —nfu/ and image in a weakly body departed this life December, 1714. Ctatis suæ 55. Omnium mors una,'

There is also a stone to Ruth Knibb, his sister, who died in 1714.

Finally in the nave floor is a memorial stone to Anne Lucas, who died in 1734, She was the daughter of George Fisher, the Vicar of Sulgrave.

Don't forget our new memorial to the crew of Wellington Bomber HZ437 whose crew died in a crash in Westbury in World War 2.

Powered by Church Edit